The Catcher in the Rye is a novel by J. D. Salinger. First published in the United States in 1951.
Trivia: Try to count how many names/characters mentioned in the book, direct or indirect. Popular for the novel with the most characters, almost or more than 200 people. I did try once, but never finish!
1. Not allowed to be filmed. Even Spielberg did try request once but denied!
2. The guy who shot John Lennon asked for his autograph earlier in commotion in front of Lennon's apartment. On the inside cover or first page of this book!
More controversies from Wikipedia:
1. Mark David Chapman, who assassinated John Lennon, was carrying the book when he was arrested immediately after the murder and referred to it in his statement to police shortly thereafter.
2. John Hinckley, Jr., who attempted to assassinate President Ronald Reagan in 1981, was also reported to have been obsessed with the book.
3. Robert John Bardo, who murdered Rebecca Schaeffer, was carrying the book when he visited Schaeffer's apartment in Hollywood on July 18, 1989. After Bardo murdered Rebecca Schaeffer, he went to an alley to throw away a paper bag, his bloodsoaked shirt and the book. The next day, he was arrested in Tucson, Arizona for the murder of Rebecca Schaeffer. Bardo later flew back to Los Angeles awaiting the murder trial. He was convicted of murder and received a life sentence in prison.
4. Winona Ryder has claimed it is her favorite book and had a copy with her when she was arrested for shoplifting in 2001.